Recent events throughout the United States may have you feeling like there is something you should do, but you are not exactly sure what it is that you can do. There are many organizations that are supportive of women and whatever causes that you feel strongly about.
- Planned Parenthood provides reproductive health services to millions of women locally and across the country.
- The Center for Reproductive Rights is a legal advocate for strengthening laws that protect women’s health care and reproductive rights.
- The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) works to protect the civil liberties of people at risk by providing legal assistance.
- The National Immigration Law Center works to protect the rights of low-income immigrants regarding legal status, workers’ rights and access to health care.
- The Southern Poverty Law Center defends the rights of minorities, prisoners and members of the LGBT community.
- The Human Rights Campaign advocates for the rights of people with HIV/AIDS to prevent discrimination and provide support.
- The Trevor Project operates the “Trevor Lifeline” and focuses on suicide prevention in the LGBTQ community.
- Greenpeace researches and lobbies the government for solutions to climate change and protecting the environment.
- Natural Resources Defense Council brings together scientists, lawyers and policy experts together to provide support for the fight against global warming.
Always Donate Wisely
It’s a good idea to investigate your chosen charity through either Charity Navigator or Charity Watch before you donate to charity. You want to make sure that your chosen charity is reputable and spends its donations wisely.
Donating Time Instead of Money
As a student, and especially if you are supporting a family, money might be tight, but there are other ways you can donate to charity:
- Support the charity by attending fundraising events like walkathons or charity runs.
- Volunteer to write letters or make phone calls to government officials or potential donors.
- Offer your time to man information booths or pass out information in support of the organization.