1. Did You Know...
That your kidneys are just two fist-sized organs in your lower back? Everyday, they work hard to do more than filter water! They also do the following:
- Filter waste out of 200 liters of blood each day!
- Regulate your body's salt, potassium and acid content
- Release hormones that regulate blood pressure
- Produce an active form of vitamin D that promotes strong, healthy bones
- Control the production of red blood cells
2. Kidney Disease
Unfortunately, Kidney disease often has no symptoms, and it can go undetected until very advanced. Here are some facts about Kidney Disease:
- Kidney disease is the 9th leading cause of death in the United States
- More than 26 million Americans have kidney disease, and most people don’t know it...
- There are over 95,000 people waiting for kidney transplants
- More than 590,000 people in the United States have kidney failure
The best method for prevention is early detection and treatment with either a urine test or blood test! Major risk factors include diabetes, high blood pressure, a family history of kidney failure and being age 60 or older.
- Stay hydrated throughout the day with water
- Reduce high-sodium and high-sugar food intake
- Reduce alcohol consumption
- Monitor and/or reduce blood pressure (Normal range: >120/80)
- Monitor and/or reduce the risk of diabetes
- Have regular checkups and screenings
New year, new life! Let's try to be healthier and happier this 2016.
Do you have suggestions for our next blog post? Comment below and let us know!