Reputable Los Angeles Nursing Program
We would like to give special attention and appreciation for nurses in the military, as part of May's Military Appreciation Month.
Thank you for your service.
1. Fast Facts
Read up on 5 out of the 12 interesting facts on military nurses:
- The United States Army Nurse Corps was established in 1901 (nearly 115 years old).
- In 1970, the first nurse and first woman to receive the general officer rank in U.S. military history was Colonel Anna Mae Hays.
- In 2012, the Army reported that 35% of active duty nurses and 28% of Army reserve nurses were male, compared to 5.4% of the general nursing population.
- Navy nurses serve in more than 250 facilities around the world, as well as on the fleet’s two hospital ships, the USNS Comfort and USNS Mercy. Some also work with aircraft squadrons or on fleet ships.
- The Nurse’s Memorial is a large stone statue with plaque dedicated to military nurses at Arlington National Cemetery, near Washington D.C. It was erected in 1938 and rededicated in 1971.
2. Careers in the Nurse Corps
Check out each career path for more information on job duties, requirements, training, helpful skills, and compensation!
- Army Public Heath Nurse
- Certified Nurse Midwife
- Critical Care Nurse
- Emergency Room Nurse
- Family Nurse Practitioner
- Medical-Surgical Nurse
- Nurse Anesthetist
- OB/GYN Nurse
- Perioperative Nurse
- Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner
- Psychiatric/Behavioral Health Nurse
3. A Great Need
There is always a demand for nurses in the military. Where there is war, there are sick and injured people.
"Along with offering competitive pay and comprehensive benefits, the U.S. Army health care team supports and encourages your continued learning. If you’re ready to specialize or pursue an advanced degree, we have a number of programs than can help. You may qualify to receive tuition, pay and allowances that will let you focus your attention on learning. And if you have nursing school loans to repay, the Active Duty Health Professions Loan Repayment Program may help you repay up to $120,000 of those loans." (Source)